I had a tremendous experience visiting FIGat7th for the first time. It was eye-opening in fact -- how had I never been there before? I was invited just for a tasting in their upscale food court, the Taste Food Hall, but ended up sticking around for a few hours to take everything in and enjoy other things they have to offer.
1. Choices. Hungry? Here's just a sampling of the options available:
If you want more of a traditional restaurant scenario, you can always grab a table at California Pizza Kitchen or City Tavern. I'm told City Tavern has a great hamburger and I'll be hitting that next time.
2. Live Music! The second Saturday of month, enjoy Figat7th's outdoor concert series in the courtyard! We were there on a second Saturday and it was a lot of fun! The band we saw was terrific! I love the outdoor space at Figat7th most of all. On a beautiful day, what could be better?
3. Grilled cheese on steroids. Oh sure, you could go to The Melt and have something basic and it would probably be great but if you ask me, you go big or go home. Have a "Mac Daddy," aged sharp cheddar, macaroni, and bacon, or their spin on a cheesesteak, creamy aged cheddar, Angus sirloin with grilled onions.
4. Transportation. It's so easy! There's a big garage on the property and what's more, it's super accessible via the Los Angeles Metro - there's a stop right at Figueroa and 7th. Why not take advantage of public transportation for once?
5. Torta Company. They have a super inventive menu! Our torta (Mexican sandwich) had roasted poblano peppers, Panela and Oaxaca cheese, beans, and chile jalapeño sauce. It was a bit spicy for but omigod the cheese! The cheese on it was heaven. Plus! Their breakfast tortas are served ALL DAY.
6. "Not So Fried Chicken." This was my favorite sandwich during our tasting. I love Mendocino Farms a bunch!
Why is it "not so fried?" The shaved, roasted chicken is simply rolled in Mendo’s krispies with herb aioli, and served on their wonderful ciabatta bread with mustard pickle slaw, tomatoes and pickled red onions.
We also tried the Spicy Lemongrass Steak Banh Mi. Again, the spicy is not for me but I still know an amazing combination of flavors when I taste it and I know you spicy-food-fans will love this one.
Grab some friends and go spend the afternoon at Figat7th. It's really wonderful! Forget the crowded LA Live - escape to this foodie treasure trove, grab a table to enjoy some live music, grab a Sprinkles cupcake, pick up some makeup at Mac... there's a lot to do there and I can't wait to go back!
- They have great social! Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Pro tip: Parking is available in an adjacent garage at 945 8th Street. When you park, park on levels L1, L2 or L3 and get validated. When you get on the elevator, remember you're going DOWN to walk over to the shopping center. It's located in a pit of sorts -- below ground level.
Disclosure: The sandwich tastings were hosted. #Blessed #SoDelicious #LuckyMe #ALLOFTHESANDWICHES