At the start of this year, I was - and still am - going through a lot of changes and it was time to make some changes in my diet. And much to my surprise, it's mostly felt really wonderful. I've been pinning new, interesting recipes to my "food" board on Pinterest and slowly trying out a few.
Now, don't get my wrong. I still see recipes for things like "soft baked cheerio monster cookies" and salivate. There's a time and place for those, too, right? But I thought I would share some of the cool things I've tried here and additionally, some of the recipes that remain on my "to do" list. ENJOY!
GLUTEN FREE EGG CASSEROLE - Fit & Awesome
My friend Lindsay posted this one and it was actually the first new, healthy recipe I tried. I'm not much for ghee so I stuck with some smart balance butter. You can totally mix and match your ingredients, which I like because she uses spinach and I have this weird aversion to cooked spinach. It was maple sausage, peppers and cheese for me. Anyway, the point is, it's delicious and something you can make on a Sunday and then portion out for office lunches for a few days!
POTATO-LESS POTATO PANCAKES - The World According to Eggface
Mine did not turn out as pretty as the ones on "Eggface" but they were really, really yummy! It would never occur to me to use cottage cheese and an egg together. In fact, even typing it now, it sounds kinda gross, but this was delicious, made a big portion, and subbing some plain yogurt for sour cream was perfect. I didn't have any chives in the house but I'm sure I'll make this again soon.
TOASTLESS AVOCADO TOAST (baked eggs in avocado) - Allrecipes.com
I really love avocado toast and cutting out bread meant this was off the table for me. But then I remembered going to a restaurant where I had "avocado toast" in an actual avocado shell and went on the hunt for a similar recipe. (Apologies, I did not get a photo of this one!)
Also, not so much a fancy recipe, but I also learned to make GRITS. Go figure! They are tasty sweet or savory. Give 'em a shot!
And here are some more recipes I am eager to try:
- Risotto... made from SUNFLOWER SEED! WHAT?! - Epicurious
- Paleo Meatball Soup - Recipe This
- Crispy Baked Tofu - Cookie and Kate
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes - The World According to Eggface
- Healthy Banana Bread - A Cookie Named Desire
- Butternut Squash Soup (Note: I really want to make a soup from scratch and I feel like I could make a healthier version of this somehow) - Thrifty Jinxy
- Spaghetti Squash with Lemon Herb Shrimp - Sarah Peretz
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (Note: I don't even like cauliflower but DAMN this looks GOOD!) - What's Gaby Cooking
WHAT SAY YOU?
What healthy recipes should I try? I would love your recommendations! Please share in the comments or tweet them to me!