Welcome to the SoCalLadyBloggers Fourth of July Potluck Online Bash! Or, at least, my end of it. I love this idea. It's a party I can go to whilst I remain on my couch in lazy-wear, watching bad movies. I am having a supremely lazy day. My previous roommate officially moved out this morning and my new roommate moved in. It happened pretty much simultaneously, all morning and afternoon, and it was not without drama. Thus, the subsequent laziness. This day has exahusted me and all I wanna do is eat garbage and drink Sunkist orange soda. However as I am far too lethargic to do either of those things, I have ordered food to be delivered (currently pondering how to retrieve it from the delivery man without getting up and going to the door - it does not look good for me here) and am watching movies with commercials (I own like 200 DVDs and Blu-rays, people).
Did I ramble a bit there? Yes, I think I did.
So here is MY contribution to the brilliant online potluck party. Which I am outright stealing from my best friend. She made this for me once and it was all that is good in life, liquified in a bowl.
BEER CHEESE SOUP
- 1 stick butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz beer
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (sharp cheddar is best)
- mustard powder (mustard would probably work, too)
- Dice onion, melt butter, saute onions until translucent (2-3 minutes)
- Add 1/2 cup flour in stages to make a roue (don't get scared about the texture here), cook flour for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth whisking in a little at a time and then the beer
- Whisk in cheese a little at a time until melted, then add a couple of pinches of mustard powder
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat
- Cook a few more minutes and serve immediately. Go back for seconds!
Other items to consider adding as tried by myself or others I have given this recipe to: Croutons, bacon, chives, potato chunks, bread chunks, serve in bread bowl or - no joke - popcorn.
Happy Fourth of July!!!