You know what I love? Television.
I'm not really a couch potato (just ask my roommate who hasn't actually seen me in over a week), but I certainly have my moments. In truth, sppending lazy weekend days on the couch, catching up on the DVR, is one of my all-time favorite hobbies. And I find since I no longer work in television, my desire to watch it ad nauseum has amplified.
This is also, by the way, why I seem to go to the movies once a week now, if not more.
This past weekend, I found myself with an unprecedented amount of free time and so I spent it watching nearly everything on my DVR. I love the return of Fall TV - it's like an annual holiday in my world. Every year I comb through new show descripctions and decide what I want to test out and what I am coming back to. I set my DVD for as much as I can fit into it and start weeding things out. And actually, this year, I found more keepers than ever before. It probably won't last -- inevitably my schedule will make it impossible to keep up with everything -- but here is a list of what I watched/enjoyed/hated and so on...
MOM (CBS) - I tuned in because of Allison Janney (who looks sensational in this, by the way) but not sure if I can stick around for more. TBD. It was cute and actually pretty original, but Chuck Lorre comedies usually end up making my skin crawl.
THE BLACKLIST (NBC) - They had me at James Spader. In fact, he wasn't even in this pilot enough for my liking. But it's basically Alias meets Silence of the Lambs so I'm in. And just give Spader the Emmy now, ok?
MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC) - He lives! He lives! The pilot didn't blow me away but I enjoyed it. And I saw The Avengers about eight times in theaters so I'm in. And happy they got Cobie Smulders to cameo in the pilot. Good hook.
TROPHY WIFE (ABC) - Another West Wing almumni worth tuning in for; Bradley Whitford. Who looks like he's been working out and it's kinda weird. It's also the first time I've liked Malin Ackerman in anything and surprisingly enjoyed the pilot. Sadly, I could see this being a casualty of ABC's infamous twitchy finger-on-the-cancel-button, but here's hoping...
THE CRAZY ONES (CBS) - I tuned into this because Robin Williams is making television again and I thought that was kind inf intriguing. And after her CW show failed, I want Sarah Michelle Gellar to find a post-Buffy hit. I liked the pilot, but I could see Robin Williams' shtick getting annoying. Another TBD, I guess.
THE MICHAEL J. FOX SHOW (NBC) - I'm sure everyone is questioning the ethics of making fun of Parkinson's as a sitcom premise but I guess when the star is an icon and actually has Parkinson's, it's... okay? I wonder how long I can watch this without feeling uncomfortable. What if trhe ratings sink and NBC has to cancel the guy with a disease? How do you handle that PR nightmare? Does anyone worry this show is only getting pity laughs? (Somehow I think NBC doesn't care as long as it gets ratings at all, sadly.) I will say, I enjoyed the supporting cast in this; Betsy Brandt as Fox's wife and Katie Finneran, who reminds me of Joan Cusack, as his sister. Not sure I'll stick it out.
Hasn't premiered yet:
- Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
- Almost Human - All I needed to know was Karl Urban.
- Blue Bloods - It's weird I watch this, right? I'm such a sucker for crime procedurals, I don't even care how hokey it is sometimes. In fact, I find its family values core kinda refreshing.
- Castle - Nathan Fillion. Captain Tight Pants never disappoints.
- How I Met Your Mother - Last season. I love it, but it's time.
- Law & Order SVU - The season premiere nearly gave me a heart attack. I was GLUED to it, I tell you.
- The Mentalist - Procedural. Can't fight it. And Simon Baker. For reals.
- Modern Family - Is it me or is this show not as funny as it used to be?
- New Girl - The Jess and Nick stuff is cute, but I think Winston needs more screen time. And I love me some Schmidt.
- Once Upon a Time - I binge watched the first two seasons of this show over the summer and I could not WAIT for it to come back. So much eye candy. So much fun. So imaginative!
- Project Runway - More involvement from Tim Gunn this season, making me oh-so-happy. While Heidi Klum is not quite the nemesis she is to my friend Chris, she does annoy the crap out of me. And I so prefer Zac Posen on the judging panel over bratty Michael Kors.
- Shark Tank - I. Am. Obsessed. With this show. Obsessed. Please don't ask me to explain why. Although I do have a weird crush on Mark Cuban.
- The Voice - I enjoy this show so much. Mostly because of Adam Levine and Blake Shelton. I preferred Usher and Shakira over Christina and CeeLo, but not so much I'd stop watching.
God, looking at this list now, I am amazed I sleep at all.
Ok, lemme have it. What am I missing? What did you love? Hate? What news can you bring me from TV Land, boys and girls?