Oh, I know you didn't think I forgot about #RunawaytoVegas...! It's VEGAS WEEK, everybody! Be prepared. Get your mind in the zone. It's about to get all Sin City on the blog.
I have so many people to thank for making this trip possible. We had the most amazing time! And we go to do so much, my head is still spinning.
The first thing you have to know is that we physically would not have gotten to Vegas had it not been for the kind folks at Megabus. They are low-cost but not low-class. You get to your destination with almost no stopping (just a quick one to grab a few more passengers) and in style, to boot. Air conditioning, panoramic views, free WiFi, electrical outlets (sooooooo wonderful for charging!), bathrooms and a few select seats with tables. For us Angelenos, you just can't beat the convenience -- pick-up is downtown at Union Station (out back so you can just get dropped off right there and avoid the inside maze).
Are your spidey sense tingling? That's probably because Megabus is one of the Vegas giveaway sponsors. Sit tight. More on that coming soon...
We had amazing, lovely accommodations in Vegas courtesy of the iconic Plaza Hotel and Casino. We were excited to experience downtown Las Vegas! I've stayed on the strip numerous times and have visited downtown once or twice, but I've never stayed down there. And it's awesome. It's so lively -- it's got a great energy!
Recently, the Plaza underwent an extensive $35 million renovation project that included brand new guestrooms and suites, an entirely remodeled casino floor and lobby, and all new restaurants, bars and entertainment options. They've done an awesome job. We loved the decor and our rooms. And while they were generously hosting us for our stay, we made sure to inquire about pricing which is beyond reasonable for Las Vegas. (As low as $29 - are you kidding me?!)
Some additional key take-aways about the hotel:
- The completely redesigned William Hill sports book features 75 TV screens, including 80-‐inch displays for sports viewing with tons of seating, making it one of the largest sports books in downtown Las Vegas.
- The Plaza boasts the largest convention space in downtown Las Vegas with more than 30,000 square feet of ballrooms, meeting rooms and convention space -- and they have a charming wedding chapel.
- There are a lot of terrific entertainment options at the hotel, including Emmy award winning comedian Louie Anderson. There is no shortage of laughter at this hotel!
- They have an obscene amount of food choices, including a food court and the infamous and iconic Oscar's Steakhouse, but my money's on Hash House a Go Go, which has an amazing, comfort food laden menu. This home grown Las Vegas favorite describes itself as “twisted farm food,” down home, stick-‐to-‐your ribs fare in portions large enough to satisfy a hungry ranch hand. It's a huge hit with locals and tourists alike for its creative menu, over-‐sized portions and unique presentations. They also have - I LOVE THIS - the very first ever beer garden to hit Downtown Las Vegas coming soon. It's so cool! We got a sneak peak.
- Originally opened in 1971, the iconic building is always immediately recognizable for all of its film and television appearances such as Diamonds are Forever, Back to the Future II, Pay it Forward, The Girl Next Door and my favorites, Cool World and the music video for Starship's "We Built this City." (ON ROCK. AND. ROLL!!!!!!)
I was really taken aback when a lot of people told me not to stay downtown on this trip but you know me -- the #1 way to get me to do something? Dare me not to. And I'm really glad I followed my instinct. The staff is really nice, the place is clean as a whistle, the casino is not annoyingly crowded but still lively -- there's just a lot of things that make staying at the Plaza enjoyable and I totally recommend it.
You'll see as I keep posting about Vegas throughout the week, there is so much to do downtown that having a great hotel to rely on down there is clutch.
Are you spidey senses twitching again? It's probably because in addition to a free round trip on Megabus, we have a hotel stay at the Plaza to giveaway to someone, too! Have I got your attention yet? Keep checking back. More to come... It's VEGAS BABY!
And don't you worry -- I have a ton of photos from this trip that will be perusable on Facebook soon!
Disclosure: Our Vegas trip was made possible by many generous companies, sponsors and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. All opinions, thoughts, feelings, drunken rants and lustful thoughts are my own, as always.