HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY!
I've made a habit, in recent years, of declaring mantras for the months ahead. I've done really well with this, in fact.
Out of 2013, 2014 was "The Year of Positive Change." That year I left a job that made me deeply unhappy, bought a new car and moved into my own apartment.
2015, last year, I reminded myself that "January always comes after December." That tomorrow is a new day. And so when I was recovering from being very ill and then got laid off from my job, it felt very important to remember that.
Looking back over these years of change, actually dating back even further than 2014, I realized I feel a deep longing for some stability and calmness. Not to say that I want the year to be without activity, it's just that I want the year to bring satisfaction and contentedness. I want to put that out into the universe. So when I considered a mantra to brand 2016, I looked to world renown prophet, Matthew McConaughey....
Yep. That's all there is to it. "Alright, alright, alright!"
And as per my usual tradition, here are 16 goals I shall set out to accomplish in 2016:
1. Cook/Attempt to cook one or two recipes I've pinned to Pinterest.
2. Raise money for charity.
4. Write more. Blog less. (Take that as you will.)
5. Redecorate my bedroom.
6. Have friends over more often.
7. Visit the recently renovated Peterson Automotive Museum
8. Party with friends at Drag Queen Bingo.
9. Tis the year of many Marvel movies! Must-sees: X-Men Apocalypse, Captain America Civil War (Comes out my birthday weekend. Guess what I'm doing to celebrate 37?!), Gambit, Deadpool, Dr. Strange, and Sinister Six (maybe).
10. Bring my lunch to work more often.
11. Read more. Boy did I suck at reading in 2015.
12. Vacation with friends.
13. Add more photos of friends and family to my home.
14. Go on a date. (Yeah, I'm only committing to one and even that was painful to type.)
15. Say "NO" more often. Without apologizing for it.
16. Day trip to Universal Studios (HARRY POTTER IS COMING!)
Further inspiration from Buzzfeed.
Completed items are highlighted in yellow.